Monday, December 15, 2008

what happens when you lose your voice?

if any of you were to talk to me right now it would sound like you were speaking with a 98-year-old man. i lost my voice yesterday after our first week of All I Want for Christmas at SHIFT, NSM Middle School Ministry. in some weird way, i think i lost my voice for a very specific reason.

this morning phillip and i went to pointe north community church to visit their student pastor and our friend, sean rheaume. he observed The Element last wednesday and had some great insights for us. i love when God uses others' observations to stretch us as leaders and pastors, even when the insights are things you didn't want to hear.

during our debriefing with sean this morning, i really could not even talk. just a few weeks ago i wrote about actively listening. well, this morning i forgot about my voice because i basically did not have one. instead of waiting for my turn to talk, i was truly, no i was actively listening. and boy did phillip and i need to hear it. thanks sean. love you bro.

as weird as this sounds i really want to say thanks to God for the loss (hopefully only temporary) of my voice. i do not want to sound like this forever. but i want to be someone who listens and learns from what they hear.

Proverbs 12:15 "Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others."

please pray for NSM for 2009 and for me personally to become a much better listener this upcoming year.

No comments: